There’s a lot going on in the world everyday, but we really only see what’s in front of us. And it can be very difficult to be ready for every type of moment or situation that might possibly come your way. Events such as car accidents, spilled coffee, losing something, or forgetting to bring a jacket are going to negatively impact your day, but positive things like getting a promotion, finding money on the street, or someone complimenting your outfit can make your day so much better. Yet, we still aren’t ready for these situations as they happen, and they can completely and utterly uproot your whole life. No matter what the situation involves, how we handle it really impacts the final result and our own sanity. Here are the steps I take when events, both positive and negative, that are thrown my way:
- Take a breath (you really need oxygen to function and think properly)
- Evaluate the entire situation. Do you need to call someone? Can you handle it on your own? Do you need to step back and take a moment (or overnight) to think about your different options?
- If you can evaluate your situation quickly, then do so. Act on your primary instinct.
- If you need to call someone, decide who can actually help you. In an emergency, always call the police or fire department. Otherwise, call someone you trust that will not be bias about the situation.
- If you can take the time to step back and think about the situation for even just a few minutes, take advantage of that. Write down your very very very first primal instinct so you don’t forget it, then delve deeper into other options and ideas.
- After you have figured out your situation and what option will work best for you, go from there. Ask advice if you haven’t already, but go forward with your choice confidently. It can be scary when you have to admit that you were in the wrong, but by doing so, you will only strengthen your mind, body, and soul to move forward.
Even if things seem incredibly life altering when they happen, step by step, you’ll be able to figure out how you can accept, overcome, and grow from the situation. You can use anything that happens in your life, positive or negative, to empower you.
Personal negative situation that has now really caused a huge positive change in my life…I broke my foot by banging it into a wall (by accident) about seven weeks ago. I had surgery, and they cut open my foot and inserted a six inch K-wire into my fourth right toe. I had to wear a boot and use crutches for the first three weeks. It was not fun. It made going to class very difficult, I couldn’t drive, didn’t want to go out (crutches are hard work!), and couldn’t go to work. I was really sad and it felt like everything was over. Eventually, I went to the doctor to have the stitches removed, and was allowed to just walk with the boot. Everything was getting better, though I couldn’t go back to work or drive, I was able to get around a little easier and I moved apartments during this time. Last week however, the pin got badly infected, I ended up in the emergency room, and was fortunately discharged quickly with some antibiotics. I just finished the last of the seven day pack, and my foot is a lot better. I (hopefully) get the pin out in a week, but I’ll still have to wear the boot until October.
It was really rough at first. It truly thought like my life was horrible, the days were longer, and I would never ever recover (I am a bit overdramatic). But eventually I realized I could take advantage of this time to work on personal things that I’ve put off for a long time, like this blog. I’ve grown a lot as a person, and asked forgiveness from myself and other people I have hurt in my life. I wasn’t ready for this situation, but I have now had some of the best days of my life.
Take advantage of every single moment.